ROCLA Steering Committee Minutes
January 8, 2014
Attending: Marilyn Anderson, Marilyn and Bob Kaiser, Grania Marcus, Peter and Gail Mott
- ROCLA annual contributions: Peter has mailed all but four checks to those individuals and groups we designated.
- 59 checks totaling $2.020. In 2013 we had 72 checks totaling $2,455.
- Future programs
- February meeting
i. will start at 7:15 to accommodate a church group. Nelson Carasquillo, Coordinator of Comite de Apoyo a los Trabajadores Agricolas in NJ. Subject: Whwat a food system based on justice for farmers, farmworkers and consumers would look like.
ii. Gail will inform DUPC front desk
- March – Rice and Beans
- April – Bob has not heard back from Grahame Russell
- May – Marilyn A will contact Paula re Ecuador and Greenovation
- June – Bob suggested Prof. Robert Smith, a Cornell expert on dairy farmers and immigration. To get a taste of what he might say, go to http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/iws/news/colloquium10238a.html and click on Robert Smith’s perspective from a 2008 lecture. .
II. Membership support: Please send in your annual contribution.
- Rice and Beans, March 14
- Newsletter will have all information
- Jon Garlock will ask the Labor Council Board to buy a table and Marilyn A will write a cover letter to Jim Bertolone.
- Gloria has volunteered a dessert and item for Silent Auction.
- Peter will be in charge of desserts
i. Jim Anderson cannot do this so Grania will inquire about using one of Loret Steinberg’s students at RIT.
ii. Must be out by 2/28.
- Program booklet: deadline for all entries: Feb. 15
i. Send everything through Grania. She will be the one to contact Jim Anderson
ii. Marilyn A will write a short piece about the origins of Rice and Beans
iii. We need to identify a ½ pg. Action opportunity
- Silent auction proceeds to Sarah Brownell
- Jim Anderson will retire from doing our newsletter at the end of this year.
- Schedule: May 15, August 15, Nov. 15. (a membership letter will go out in early October).
- Mailings: Need for additional person to be knowledgeable about the procedure. Right now Marilyn K is the only one who knows..
- We voted to give $50 to Jake Allen of SEIU for Chilean students coming here to speak about their work in labor organizing. Marilyn A will ask him for a written description for our files.
- We then passed a motion that all requests for financial sponsorship must come in writing.
Submitted by Gail Mott