ROCLA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes
May 7, 2014, 5 PM
Present: Bob and Marilyn Kaiser, Gail and Peter Mott, Arnie Matlin, Grania Marcus
I. Report: Bob Kaiser submitted his accounting of received Rice & Beans Dinner: Total receipts=$5,146) and total expenditures= $1,370.
- Mention the donation of $580 for Sarah B. in R & B dinner article
- Thank Tom Ward, Gates, Peg G., auction donors, participants only (not members of the Steering Committee)
- Gail will ask Vic to draft article on Cuba Caravan for newsletter (Deadline: May 10); also need to have photo of Vic for interview of Vic and a photo from 2013 Cuba Caravan.
- Include receipt totals from Rice & Beans dinner.
III. Cuba Caravan (neither Vic nor Callie were in attendance so information was limited)
- Date: July 11, 2014
- The Caravan will return to the previous model of a truck coming to Rochester to fill with supplies
- Planning Team (as proposed at April meeting):
Vic – (585) 271-8723; confirmed
Callie – (585) 582-1322; confirmed; Callie will contact Ream
Ream – (585) 309-3440
- Arnie will be in charge of getting medicines when he knows what’s needed
- A letter from the Steering Committee requesting funds—Grania will ask Vic
- List of items being collected
- Ways people can participate
- Are we having a party?
- Where will we store the supplies and park the truck? (Callie suggested Rochester Greenovation for storage for Cuba Caravan
- Gail will ask Callie/Vic to send update to the Steering Committee on tasks to be completed to plan for Caravan
- Grania will write to Callie and Vic to get information to include in the newsletter article—need this information by May 10 to include in May newsletter.
IV. June 7 planning meeting:
- Meeting to plan ROCLA’s and brainstorm ideas to grow ROCLA as an organization
- Grania asked Denise Young to facilitate–she has been out of town; will ask Denise again when Denise returns Tuesday, May 13; if she is not available will ask Colin O’Malley
- Will be held June 7, 2014, from 9 AM-12 PM, at Mott’s house, 288 Melrose Street, Rochester (19th Ward).
- Gail will ask Mia and Omar to cater breakfast
- Put invitation in the newsletter: “if you have ideas, suggestions, or would like to explore being on the Steering Committee”; include contact information.
- Arnie will send out electronic versions of announcement May 18 and after.
- Specifically invite Phil Schaefer, Paola Betchart, Jeff and Cecelia Nieznanski, Ream Kidane, Colin O’Malley, and others Steering Committee members may know who might be interested in attending the meeting and/or serving on the Steering Committee—please suggest any others you know who have an interest in Latin American issues and may be interested in serving on the SC.
- Arnie asked: Do we just want to just attract younger members so ROCLA continues or do we want to actually do thinks differently?
V. Media for ROCLA programs:
- Grania will write announcements and press releases
- Arnie or Gail will send announcements of programs to Announce and ROCLA list
- Gail will do events listings
- Put Will Astor of Rochester Business Journal on media list
- Grania will send updated media contact list to Gail
- June 4 program:
- Gail Walker–Bob will contact Vic re her visit, including schedule, honorarium, etc.
- Gail W. can stay at Mott’s; Bob will check with her to see if she’s OK with home hospitality.
- Grania will have article in May newsletter and will draft an announcement.
Next Meeting: June 4, 2014, 5 PM